Saturday, September 24, 2011

Latest Update, New Developments...

A few things have changed since our latest update this past Thursday... As you know, these last few weeks have been somewhat difficult and I've had trouble regaining my strength and energy. We've been becoming concerned obviously, but it was getting to the point where we were worried about me having the ability to make dr appts in UAB physically and getting around in general. Earlier this week they increased my Morphine to 60mg every 8 hours, and Friday afternoon my pain dr called to see how that was working and also see how everything else was going. I told him the pain dosage was good, but then I expressed our other concerns-lack of energy, not being able to eat much because of the bloating sensation, the leg swelling, etc. He immediately became concerned because it sounded like I'd developed a lot more severe problems since I'd last seen him and he was worried about me having to wait until October 5 to see them to address these issues. (BTW: I had emailed my UAB oncologist Thursday evening about our concerns and was waiting to hear back from her). After talking to the pain doctor for 30 minutes, we came to the conclusion that we needed to address things sooner and here in Auburn instead of Bham if possible.

As a result of our conversation, we decided it would be a good idea to look into Home Health to assist me here at home, especially since right now I don't feel comfortable being home by myself and being so weak. He helped me get in contact with a home health company here in Auburn, called Alacare. They contacted me Friday afternoon and set up an appt for Friday evening. A nurse came out and talked to me and Jason about what they do and how they can help us. Basically, they will have a nurse come to our house twice a week (more often if we feel we need it) to check my vital signs, medications, or anything that would involve needing assistance with here at home. They would help with any problems regarding pain management, nutrition, appetite, sleep, etc. In addition, if something were to happen (I.e. falling or fever) and we didn't know whether to go to the doctor or ER, we would call them first and they will send someone out first to assess the situation and help first.

After talking to the nurse for a little over an hour, we felt it was definitely in our best interest to do Home Health, especially with the way the last few weeks have gone. They will come out to the house twice a week to check on me and see how things are going. Right now, the biggest focus is my leg swelling, which has progressively gotten worse. I was told to double my Lasix dosage for 2 days (Saturday and Sunday) and wrap my ankles and lower legs off and on to try and relieve the water I'm retaining. When the HH nurse comes this week, they'll reassess the swelling and see if the wrapping/lasix is helping and go from there.

Other than that, it looks like I'll always have someone here with me at home for now, not because I need around the clock care, but in case something were to happen or I need assistance. My parents and in-laws have all graciously worked out a schedule with us to help stay with me. We are also going to establish a local oncologist here in Auburn so I don't have to rely solely on the one at UAB if I can't make that trip. We are still keeping a positive outlook on everything and are blessed with every passing day! These past few weeks have definitely been the hardest and most trying thus far, but thanks to all of your prayers and support, we can feel the Lord lifting us up and getting us through! We will keep you updated over the next few days and expect the HH nurse to come Monday or Tuesday, so we'll let you know what we find out then. We love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment