Thursday, October 6, 2011

Local Oncologist

We finally have an established oncologist here in Auburn I can go to without having to go to UAB should something come up last minute. Its Dr. Brandon Johnson at the hospital and its the doctor who gave me the shots when I was traveling between here and Houston. He had already gotten some data from UAB so he knew about my case. Regarding my leg swelling and replenishing my albumen (the protein that's seeping into my tissues keeping my kidneys from allowing my kidneys from draining off the fluid), they could try that but the only effective way to do that is to take my OWN albumen and re-inject it into myself, which kind of defeats the purpose. He said the best way to build it up is to eat the junkiest, cheesiest, bad for you food :-) There's not really a way to actually drain off the fluid. The other suggestion he had was to increase my Lasix (basically double it) like we tried before but for longer and if need be add another diuretic to the Lasix and see if together they can push the fluid off.

He knew about my trip to the ER and he was able to check my blood counts, all of which were fine except my albumen.. he said I didn't need to make a follow up appt, just call him if something came up. Overall we liked him and felt comfortable. Even though we didn't get great answers we left feeling good we have a doctor here should something arise.

That's about all for now. I'm sure I forgot something, so when I remember or have something new to report, you know where to find it! And once again thanks for all your neverending prayers-we know without you guys and our love for Jesus Christ we couldn't have made it this far! We love you all and will keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment