Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Radiation Scheduled

Carrie here...

I met with my radiology oncologist yesterday in Alexander City yesterday afternoon. Nothing major came out of the visit. They had to scan me (again) to make an image to use for treatment placement and they used lasers to mark 3 spots on my torso so they know where to target the radiation. They also made a mold of my upper body that they'll use for each treatment. The mold will hold me in the same position each time. It was kind of like a glorified bean bag that inflated to fit my shoulders, head, and arms. My doctor will work on getting my treatment plan together the rest of the week. I go back this thursday - by then, he'll have the plan together and he'll just make sure everything is lined up correctly. And if nothing changes, I start treatments next Monday, June 28. He did say he wants to give me the most radiation possible since the tumor is still somewhat small and localized so he's now thinking I'll do treatments for possibly 15-20 days (monday-friday) instead of the 10-12 he originally said. But he hopes to have all of that figured out by the end of this week.

On a good note, I did get my disability extended through July 20 at work! Treatments may go longer than that, but it's a relief that I won't have to worry about that until after the 20th.

I'll let everyone know if anything changes. Otherwise, I'll let you know how it goes Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment