Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Radiation Began

I started radiation treatments yesterday, Monday June 28. I will have a total of 22 treatments, monday through friday so I will finish up on July 28, unless something come up or happens. The treatments itself aren't bad at all. Once they pull me back to the radiation room, they lay me down onto the mold they created for my head, shoulders, and arms and line me up with the machine. Initially, they used sharpie marks to mark the spots they use to line me up each day. Yesterday after my treatment, however, they used an actual tattoo needle and permanently tattooed the 3 marks on my torso. They are only the size of freckles so they are hardly noticeable, but they are permanent. The treatment only takes about 15-20 minutes and they shoot the radiation beams from 9 different angles that go most of the way around my body. I met with the radiation doctor after my first treatment just to go over a few things. He said I shouldnt have any ill side effects from radiation. After a few weeks, I may become more tired (which is nothing new) or have slight diarrhea, but nothing more severe than that. They also gave me some Utterly Smooth cream to apply to the radiation sights if the skin becomes dry or irritated. I've had 2 treatments and so far so good! Only 20 more to go...

On another note, my oncologist at UAB has been talking back and forth with the doctor I saw at MD Anderson last October. My doctor wants me to go out there again and be evaluated by MD Anderson and hopefully get another game plan in case the Sutent doesn't work. She doesnt want me to have a significant lapse in treatments so she wants something set in motion because she's running out of options. And from my understanding, they have what they're calling a "Phase I Trial" at MD Anderson for adrenal cancer that they want me to be evaluated for. I think it's a clinical trial of some sort, I'm just not sure yet. We're trying to coordinate my radiation schedule with a visit to Houston to visit my family at the end of July so hopefully I'll be able to get an appt with MD Anderson while I'm down there. But I'll let everyone know as soon as something is set in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment