Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Time for Radiation

Carrie speaking again! I went to UAB today and met with the radiology oncologist today to discuss the possibililty of radiation. I talked to 3 different doctors and they all came to the conclusion that radiation is the route to go to hopefully take care of the discomfort/pain I'm having. They reviewed all my previous scans and it appears that the large tumor in my left adrenal gland is pressing against a major blood vessel (cant remember what its called) that branches off to several different areas in the abdominal area. They think the pressure on this blood vessel is what's causing my discomfort, simply because it branches off to so many different areas. They hope that by radiating the areas where the pressure is being applied, they can relieve the pain. This radiation is NOT going to be done in hopes of a cure, it will simply be done to alleviate the pressure. They said the tumor is small enough and localized enough to safely radiate it without having to worry about doing any damage to any surrounding organs. They will be giving me a mild to moderate dose of radiation over the course of about 10-12 consecutive days. Since it's not being done as a cure, they aren't going to give me a full scale radiation dosage because there is no need to put my body through that.

So here's the plan so far... UAB actually has a clinic that they operate out of to do radiation in Alexander City, which is only about 35-45 minutes away from Auburn. So I can actually get the same exact treatment there that I would get at UAB, but much closer!!! I should get a call tomorrow with an appointment time next Monday to meet with the doctor again in Alex City. They'll use their radiation machine to scan me (again) and do x-rays to pinpoint exactly the spots they'll radiate. They'll also make a mold to fit my body in the position I'll get treatment in to make sure my body is in the same position for all the treatments. Once they get all that done and figure out exactly where to radiate, I'll start treatments the week of June 28. That's about all I know right now, but I'll keep everyone updated after my appt next monday.

As for the expensive Sutent, I'm still waiting to hear from my oncologist about getting it covered, but she said not to expect anything until this friday so we're still waiting...

Please keep us in your prayers! The Lord works in mysterious ways and the power of prayer is amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you!! Thanks for the update. I have family in Alex City with a big house if you ever want to spend the night there. They are great folks!!

    ReplyDelete