Thursday, May 19, 2011

Starting Mitotane... again

I met with both my oncologist and endocrinologist at UAB yesterday, and after consulting with both of them, I have started the Mitotane treatment. My endocrinologist will primarily be monitoring my blood pressure, cholesterol, and thyroid. My cholesterol and thryoid seem to be under control, but he said it was a good idea to continue taking the medicine for them just as a precaution. My blood pressure is still running slightly high so he increased the dosage (he said the dose MDA put me on was "wimpy") and said to email him a few times a week with readings I take at home and he can adjust the dosage accordingly. In addition, he has started me on Prednisone. which is a hormone replacement since my body will stop making it on its own once the Mitotane gets in my system and suppresses the adrenal function.

My oncologist has started me on the Mitotane again as well. She's started me on a slightly lower dose than MDA recommended, but I will increase the dose every 3 or 4 days as long as my body seems to be handling the medicine. I am scheduled to see her in two weeks, on June 1. She will do blood work and check my levels, and basically see how everything is going. In addtion, I am scheduled to get both a PET scan and CT scan done next friday, May 27. I haven't had a PET scan since January 2010 when they discovered the cancer had returned. She's not looking for anything specific, but my last CT scan was at the beginning of April so she wants a fresh scan that she can also use as a baseline for this treatment.

As weird as it sounds, we're excited to get this treatment started. We are praying that my body tolerates the medicine well and that there are miraculous results!! Thank you once again to all of you that have kept us in your prayers and as usual, we will keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment