Sunday, January 23, 2011

Low Blood Counts... Again...

After a good report last week and increased blood counts, they once again have fallen into the low range. My neutrophile absolute count (aka white blood cells that fight infections) was even lower than it was 2 weeks ago when they had to alter my chemotherapy treatment. It was 0.66 and the normal level is at least 1.7. The nurse talked to my doctor, who initially said to cancel the entire treatment on Wednesday, but then decided to just give me the investigational drug and skip the other one. And, once again, I was told I would have to receive a shot over the next 3 days to increase my neutrophiles. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with an oncologist in Auburn to receive the last 2 shots so I could still come home to Auburn for the weekend. As a result of low blood counts twice in the last couple of weeks, I am now scheduled to meet with my doctor this wednesday to see what he plans to do. More than likely, they will have to adjust the dosage on the FDA regulated chemo drug, since that's what appears to be causing the problem. Until then, I've been told to stay away from large crowds and especially anyone coughing or appearing to be sick... not the easiest thing in the world to do, especially since I'm flying so much. But hopefully wednesday will give us some answers and the doctor can fix the problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment