Friday, August 14, 2009

Post operation update

We got to see Carrie twice tonight before leaving the hospital. The first time was at 5pm and of course she was still under anesthesia, but that she was doing fine and that all of vital signs were where they wanted them to be. We got to see her again at 8:30pm and she was starting to come to but was still out of it pretty good. She was responding to us talking to her. (We doubt that she will remember any of it.) They said that she was almost to the point where they could remove the ventilator and figured it would be around 9:30 or 10 when they did that. They made mention that it was possible that they may move her to a private room tomorrow, but I don't expect for it to be that soon. She had good color and looked pretty good considering what she had gone through today.

Some people have been asking about treatment after this operation. The doctor said that he would be consulting with an oncologist about the possibility of using chemotherapy. He said that we would not be doing treatments, if any, until after Carrie has been home and fully recovered. First checkup with the doctor will be 6 months from now.

For all of the Facebook friends and Carrie's group members, UAB will not allow me to access Facebook on their wireless. I know, I'm an IT guy and should have had it hacked by 6am but I was sort of busy today. If it had been Auburn (War Eagle) it would not have been a problem. Anyway, for now all updates will be on here.

And finally, I cannot express how thankful I am for all of the love and support everyone has shown to us since Carrie was diagnosed back in June. Between friends and family we filled up an entire hallway at UAB today. We love all of you guys and can't wait to get back to Auburn. This has been the hardest thing I have had to face in my entire life. I watched my dad go through two bypasses in one day a few years ago but it didn't compare today. And if finally sunk in today as to just how huge of a surgery Carrie went through. She had more done in this one operation than most people have done in their entire lives.

The first visitation time for tomorrow will be at 9am and I will post an update between 9:30 and 10.

Sorry for the long post but I am finally relaxing.

Jason

4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful for all the good news Jason. Keep us informed. I am so happy that you have such a support network. We continue to keep both you and Carrie in our prayers. Keep up the good work Carrie!! Debbie Watkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well jason just to let you know ya'll are in my prayers for sure she is a very strong women. I know you have been through alot too but just hang in there everything is going to be ok the lord is working just leave it is his hands. Everything will be ok!! Love ya'll
    Christi Barker

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give" ... and if that is true, then both of you are in very good shape! One strong day at a time from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God she is okay. Thanks for keep us posted on the progress Jason; I was biting my nails all day.

    I love you both and I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete